In an attempt to keep family and friends up to date on the details of our life here in Fort Worth, I'm joining the blog world. While most of my family will be new to this world, it will hopefully be a successful attempt to include everyone in on the journey of our growing family. Please note (especially to the grammar police) writing and picture taking are not my greatest gifts, so accept this humble attempt at blogging for what it's worth. I love you all; therefore I blog.

Friday, March 5, 2010

newest addition to my kitchen counter...



a RICE COOKER!

I know this seems like small news, but trust me it was a big decision. I don't know about you, but I am not crazy about having an appliance for EVERYthing. I prefer owning a manual can opener versus an electric can opener, and.... well maybe that is the only simplified version I own. I would like to think of myself as a minimalist, but as I think through the long list of appliances I have collected over the years, I realize I am hardly that.

All of that to say, I experienced a considerable amount of indecision when looking at adding a rice cooker to my appliance repertoire. I didn't grow up with a rice cooker, and I really didn't even know they existed until a friend mentioned it as her favorite appliance.

I would have never considered buying one except I have been terribly unsuccessful in preparing decent rice in my own kitchen more than I would like to admit. It is a lot harder than my friends at Pei Wei would lead me to believe, and my latest round of mashed potato brown rice drew the last straw.

Alas, I am the proud owner of a new rice cooker. I looked and looked, and after reading almost all of the 175 reviews on Amazon I finally decided on the Cuisinart 4 cup cooker. I deliberated for nearly a month over the well respected Asian models.


The

is definitely top of the line. I could own a pretty good model for less than $50, and the Zojirushi Induction Heating Pressure Cooker and Warmer is about three times as much. It certainly is not as cute as the Cuisinart, but the reviews were pristine compared to the Cuisinart. Plus with Japanese roots and name like Zojirushi it has to cook perfect rice. Right?

Well, I'll never know. I decided that there was NO way I could ever cook enough rice to wear out the Cuisinart, and I really don't think I even know the difference between "sticky" Asain rice and rice that meshes well with Teriyaki chicken.

Tonight was the big debut for the little 4-cup cutie, and it was PERFECT! I have never experienced such an enjoyable experience with an appliance. I mean so enjoyable, I felt led to blog. This is serious people. I LOVE my new rice cooker. I used Jasmine rice, because my friend Beth told me Lavender rice was her favorite. i looked and looked for lavender rice and figured jasmine sounded like it could have come from the same rice paddie. They both sounded like pretty flowers at least.

Our rice cooker and the Jasmine variety are both clear winners (on the first try!). The clean up was easy, and I am looking forward to coming up with my next rice dish. Any suggestions?

Last but not least-
My question to you is: if you could add ONE more appliance to make your life easier...what would it be?

I'm thinking about a juicer next 8)

1 comment:

  1. Um, I just learned that Pioneer Woman has a Zojirushi! of course she would

    ReplyDelete