In an attempt to keep family and friends up to date on the details of our life here in Fort Worth, I'm joining the blog world. While most of my family will be new to this world, it will hopefully be a successful attempt to include everyone in on the journey of our growing family. Please note (especially to the grammar police) writing and picture taking are not my greatest gifts, so accept this humble attempt at blogging for what it's worth. I love you all; therefore I blog.

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

ever ridden a donkey?



This is how I feel about myself on a donkey. Not that I'm green, but I'm certainly over sized, untrained, and uncoordinated. one word comes to mind: humiliation.

In Bible Study Fellowship this year we are studying the book of John. This past week we studied and discussed chapter 12, and it is an action packed 50 verses. Lazarus is alive after being dead and reclined at dinner, Mary unassumingly anoints Jesus for burial with crazy expensive perfume, Jesus fulfills messianic prophesy with his entry into Jerusalem, the grain of wheat falls, and Israel once again rejects Jesus.

I have nowhere near enough bible knowledge to discuss these stories at length, although I am slowly learning. The point of this post however, is to share a couple of thoughts from our discussion leader that has me so amazed with the person of Jesus in such a new and profound way that I can't help but share them with anyone who will listen or read.

1. The Israelites wanted a conquering King with all of their hearts, but what they got when Jesus entered Jerusalem on the colt of a donkey was a suffering servant (per BSF lecture). The point was clearly made that we too are often as guilty as the Israelites of making Jesus into what WE want him to be.
***example***
Discontent with job situation -- God, give me a new one.
Disappointed with husband -- God, get me out.
Saddened by loss of child -- God, give me another.
***in response, i'm seeking to pray for God to show me TRUTH in ALL circumstances. What circumstances do you fall into that force God into something he isn't and how do you seek to find your way?

2. A donkey. Have you ever tried to ride one? My sister-in-law is FEARLESS, and she is the only one I know who has ever ridden a donkey for more than 5 seconds. Let me just say, it wasn't pretty. Have you ever thought about JESUS riding a donkey? Many of us have heard this story since childhood, but have you ever really thought about getting on a donkey, riding it through a mob of people (possibly 2 million), and not falling off? Think about it. Jesus did. Only the King of the world could climb upon a sassy ass, and gracefully begin the journey of our lifetimes. He peacefully rode through hundreds of thousands of people, fulfilling prophecy (psalm 118:25-26, Zechariah 9:9, & Daniel 9:25-26), toward the most important hour of his life and ours if you claim salvation in Christ. "the hour has come for the Son of Man to be glorified." John 12:23

This makes me love and admire Jesus in such a new way. I will never look at donkeys the same.

2 comments:

  1. Love this, thanks for sharing. I'm so guilty of boxing Jesus in and only letting Him be who I want Him to be. Looking for truth in everything is harder and so often I want the easy way out. Also love when He shows us the same story for the umpteenth times with new eyes. Thanks for sharing your heart, friend. It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I'm way late commenting on this post, but I read it today and was glad for the reminder to submit and wait and allow Him to work. Thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete